Preconstruction Project Manager
Summary Description: The Preconstruction Project Manager leads, directs, and coordinates the preconstruction phase of construction projects to achieve their budget and constructability goals by collaborating with internal and external teams, being customer-focused, and driving value.
Company Description: Impetus, a Palmisano Company, is a general contractor that provides construction services in various spaces, including commercial, civil, industrial, pre-fabrication, historic, healthcare, hospitality, design-build, self-perform, multi-family, urban mixed-use, and arts and culture.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Create cost efficiencies through process improvement.
- Manage projects, from the initial conceptual phase to turnover and through startup with Operations.
- Support and drive the utilization of various company initiatives and technologies.
- Coordinate bid solicitation effort.
- Identify key subcontractors necessary for success, as well as unique subcontractor trades for project, and ensure they are part of the solicitation.
- Compile bid packages for complicated scopes that accurately convey the desired bid scope and requirements to subcontractor trade and adjust the bid package scope during the bid process to ensure level bidding from all interested parties.
- Formulate take-off plan for the project.
- Convey to other team members take-off responsibilities and expectations for completion to ensure seamless estimate compilation.
- Manage and develop project clarifications/qualifications and apply critical thinking procedures to mitigate risk.
- Prepare a detailed estimate of the entire scope of assigned trades, building system, and overall project costs.
- Obtain and evaluate subcontractor proposals relative to their scope of work, determine if scope is covered, and manage risk of scope-gaps.
- Identify apparent, high risk construction activities during bid process.
- Communicate key project requirements with outside departments, such as insurance, bonding, bid submission protocol, bid day activities, schedule submission requirements, and the like.
- Develop value analysis by defining alternatives to the proposed scope that are more cost efficient and drive the value-engineering process.
- Create and manage preconstruction process schedule.
- Create, manage, and report monthly preconstruction job budgets.
- Coordinate meeting agenda and meeting minutes.
- Lead field coordination for early work execution.
- Ensure preconstruction progress meetings are on-time, effective, and informative and provide management an accurate overview of project at all required progress meetings.
- Solicit design team members through request for proposal (RFP) process and make evaluation and recommendation.
- Assist design efforts by participating in constructability reviews at design milestones.
- Lead execution of action items to achieve stated objectives and key performance indicators (KPI).
- Compile turnover matrix, identify selected subcontractors, identify scope gaps, and identify buyout opportunities.
- Provide design pricing feedback and constructability feedback for design decisions.
- Reinforcement of the company’s core values and manifesto, leading by example.
- Promote and enhance the company’s image, brand, and reputation.
- Maintain a positive attitude, a firm commitment to the project and the company’s overall objectives, and a strong work ethic, always taking the initiative.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or similar field of study.
- 6+ years of experience in a commercial construction firm.
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret contract documents, drawings, specifications, scopes of work, and project schedules.
- Ability to identify and resolve complex issues
- Exceptional relationship-building, listening, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of building processes and systems.
- Ability to create and support team morale.
- Thorough knowledge of construction forecasting, cost, scheduling, estimating, purchasing, and accounting principles.
- The ideal candidate is a team player who possesses a passion for big-picture thinking and problem-solving while having the technical ability and detail-orientation to design and implement solutions.
- Believes in a TEAM OF TEAMS approach. Understands that we create our best work when we collaborate and get things done together. Looks out for our team members’ well-being and always “has their back.”
- Brings a HUNGER to achieve goals and does whatever it takes to get results. Contributes to the team wherever and however needed and are HUMBLE to take on tasks outside of regular duties.
- Brings a RELENTLESS PURSUIT of a smarter and better way to do things. Continuously seeking to create a better construction experience for all stakeholders. Brings solutions, not problems to the table.
- Highly self-aware and is SMART in how they show up for others. Knows what others need from them to be successful. Transparent and honest with all team members. Embodies the Impetus Core Values.
Impetus is an Equal Opportunity Employer.