Assistant Preconstruction Manager/Estimator, Commercial Construction
Summary Description: The Assistant Preconstruction Manager/Estimator supports the Preconstruction Team in managing all aspects of the preconstruction phases of commercial construction projects, including subcontractor solicitation and outreach, take-offs, conceptual estimating, creating bid-packages, overall estimate creation, buyout, cost allocation, schedules, requests for information, drawing reviews, constructability analysis, value analysis, safety, and risk management.
Company Description: Impetus, a Palmisano Company is a general contractor that provides construction services in various spaces, including commercial, civil, industrial, pre-fabrication, historic, healthcare, hospitality, design-build, self-perform, multi-family, urban mixed-use, and arts and culture.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Execute various work assignments related to estimates, from initial review of the bid/proposal solicitation to start up and execution with the operations team to close out and lessons learned.
- Assess the existing site conditions of the project worksites to gauge the accuracy of bid/proposal documents; determine if the scope of work is accurately covered by the bid/proposal documents; manage any gap-risks in the scope of work; and confirm that the vendors are quoting the correct materials.
- Compile bid/proposal packages for complicated scopes of work that accurately convey desired bid scope and requirements to trades.
- Develop and conduct value analysis to determine more cost-effective alternatives to the proposed scope of work.
- Perform constructability analysis through the identification of design and constructability issues.
- Develop value analysis' by defining alternatives to the proposed scope that are more cost efficient.
- Prepare detailed estimate of entire scope of assigned trades, building system, and overall project costs.
- Prepare quantity take-offs, analysis, estimate, and studies for all items incorporated in the assigned scope of work.
- Obtain and evaluate subcontractor proposals and vendor quotes relative to their scope of work.
- Determine prioritization of project needs and provide direction to all stakeholders,including coworkers, clients, architects, engineers, regulatory agencies, subcontractors, and suppliers.
- Visit project sites in progress to identify and understand factors affecting costs, such as production time, materials, and labor.
- Participate in the development of the baseline Critical Path Method (CPM) with the superintendent and project manager; track progress weekly and update schedule monthly, using SureTrak/P3; quantify project impacts, using contemporaneous schedule analysis; and satisfy notice provisions, where applicable.
- Conduct buy-outs and issue subcontracts for scopes of work assigned by project manager and perform job cost allocation for awarding subcontracts and purchase orders.
- Process Forma/subcontractor Requests for Information (RFI) in a timely manner; maintain log and review status to expedite critical RFI; coordinate and distribute relevant information to affected parties; and provide timely notice of cost/time impact resulting from responses to RFI.
- Create cost efficiencies through ongoing estimating process improvement.
- Use an organized approach to perform work while remaining flexible and adaptable to support the ever-changing needs of the projects.
- Actively pursue prospective projects.
- Work with commercial team to prepare estimates and bids for clients.
- Assist in maintaining records of estimated and actual costs.
- Recommend ways to reduce costs.
- Review and analyze technical documents, including blueprints, proposals, and quotes.
- Develop thorough knowledge and understanding of the project requirements.
- Develop, employ, and track various metrics.
- Establish and maintain effective and professional working relationships with all stakeholders, including coworkers, clients, architects, engineers, regulatory agencies, subcontractors, and suppliers.
- Promptly resolve any issues that might arise among the project team, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Share professional development plans with company leaders and set specific career goals.
- Participate in training courses, company meetings, and company sponsored network activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Business, or related field of study.
- 2+ years of commercial construction experience.
- Proficiency with various computer software programs, including MS Office Suite, project management software, bid management software, and scheduling software (P6 or similar).
- Ability to implement new technologies to benefit the projects.
- Thorough knowledge of construction forecasting, cost, scheduling, and estimating.
- The ability to read, understand, and interpret contract documents, drawings, specifications, scopes of work, and project schedules.
- Exceptional relationship building, listening, and communication skills.
- The ability to create and support team morale.
- Exemplifies the Impetus Core Values - Renegade Mentality, Sweep Floors, Build Relationships, Absolute Integrity.
- Decisive - Makes effective, timely decisions consistently, based on data, intuition, experience, and judgement.
- Driven to collaborate and innovate.
- Organization and Planning - Takes a methodical approach to planning daily activities.
- Interpersonal Skills - Establishes cooperative, collaborative, trusting relationships with co-workers and business contacts.
- Communication - Communicates with co-workers and business contacts effectively through written, verbal, and non-verbal communication as well as excellent listening.
- Tech savvy - The ability to adapt quickly to rapidly changing technology is key.
Impetus is an Equal Opportunity Employer.